Cana
Our freezer was unplugged last weekend.  We lost everything.  It wasn't full, but the loss was still significant.  I had traded some flour for a chicken and had put the chicken in our regular freezer.  Suddenly it was the only meat in the house.  I roasted it using the method Alice Waters has in her book "The Art of Simple Food".  It was amazing.  I put lots of Herbs de Provence under the skin.  After that, I made a soup and the meat was gone.

I am a huge fan of Michael Pollan.  I have to say his writing has had a great impact on my daily life.  I read the Young Readers version to my kids and am now facing my own Omnivore's Dilemma.  Callie is now very involved in the foods coming into the house.  As far as she is concerned, there is no good meat in town.  I agree with her, but I just wasn't prepared.  So we are suddenly vegetarian, at least until we can find a nice piece of humanly raised, pastured meat.  Dairy is an issue as well.  Luckily we have our own eggs.

We have been vegan before, a whole year, so it's not like we don't know what to make.  We are now buying Silk for our coffee, Horizon is the only organic milk in town and it is too much like a regular factory farm for it to be an alternative.  I am making a Chile Rellenos casserole today, yum.  I already had some organic, pastured, raw cheese in the fridge; doesn't everybody?   I've located a ham for Easter, so no worries there.  My husband is fine with the lack of meat, but draws the line at his Easter ham.
Labels: , | edit post
2 Responses
  1. Awioa Says:

    have you tried El Ray's Meat market?


  2. Cana Says:

    I have in the past, they only occasionally sell pastured, organic meat. I bought our turkey form them. I have been encouraging him to carry it, so have others, but it's not there regularly yet. We can also order it through the co-op, but it hasn't mattered that much yet.